The Book Bird

My name is Nicole and I'm an aspiring editor. This is my place to review books and record my progress in reading. I mostly review YA books, with some others thrown in occasionally.

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey Review

Three years ago, the Others arrived. At first, nothing changed. There were no big explosions, no firefights, and no drama. Then, ten days after they arrived, the power went out. That was the first wave. Now, after four waves and three years later, 97% of the population is dead. Sometimes Cassie thinks that she is the last human alive. Her entire family is dead, except for her little brother, Sammy. Hunted down by the Others like prey, all she has is her gun and her promise to her little brother.

Those looking for an exciting, action-packed book to get back into reading or to keep the momentum moving need look no farther, because The 5th Wave fills all those categories. The writing is great, and was simple enough to get the point across for the action scenes while still being funny and interesting. There were multiple perspectives, which often gets boring. There will be one perspective that is really interesting and fun to read, but the other one is boring and tedious. The reader has to power through this other perspective in order to get to the good spots. I didn’t have this problem in The 5th Wave most of the time, though. Both Zombie’s and Cassie’s perspective were really exciting and kept me turning pages in order to see what happens next. There were only two slow parts: the background at the beginning (ugh) and was when Cassie was recovering in the house (this is vague on purpose – I don’t want spoilers). And this is where we run into the big problem – the romance. It is obvious when reading that there wasn’t originally supposed to be a romance. Or at least if there was, there certainly shouldn’t have been. There is enough going on in the plot that there would be no need for an extra romance, however, romance is what we got. Every time Cassie interacts with the “love interest” I want to scream at her, show her how extremely stupid she was being. The boy just screamed danger. Every time he did something weird or suspicious I wanted to slap some sense into her. I expected him to betray her the entire book and then… he didn’t. It was just a boring, useless romance that didn’t stand out at all.This is something that annoyed me throughout the entire book, but fortunately did not ruin it. What is important to learn from the, sadly, subpar romance in The 5th Wave is that romance is not necessary in a book without romance, even if that book is marketed to teens.

Link to this review on Tumblr