The Book Bird

My name is Nicole and I'm an aspiring editor. This is my place to review books and record my progress in reading. I mostly review YA books, with some others thrown in occasionally.

More Than This by Patrick Ness Review

A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies. Then he wakes, naked and bruised and thirsty, but alive. How can this be? And what is this strange deserted place? As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?

Patrick Ness is, hands down, my favorite author. I have never read a book by him that I didn’t like, and More Than This is truly no exception. Once again, Ness mixes a fast pace and literary excellence to make an exceptional novel. Ness revealed vital information slowly, almost excruciatingly, and kept me on the edge of my seat. The setting and premise was so interesting I just had to know more. He weaves stories of the main character’s past with the present, but both were equally interesting, which is a rare find in most books I read nowadays. Not only was the plot gripping, but the writing was just as beautiful. I felt the need to slow down reading just to savor it. The only problem I really had with the book was the answer to big questions in the book. It wasn’t quite as interesting as it could of been, but it wasn’t a very big deal.

Overall Rating: 5/5 stars

Link to this review on Tumblr